Saturday, July 19, 2014

The Evolution of How I Feel About Stretch Marks


Usually, the topic of stretch marks lies in a big old pile of things I do not think about, but I recently saw an ad for lotion to remove them.  I cannot imagine spending my money on this product.  It’s not that I am in love with my stretch marks and decorate them with glitter or write poems about them, but I just don’t consider going to any more effort at eradicating them than I would having my uvula removed. 

I did not always feel this way.  When I was pregnant with my first child and noticed a few angry red marks under my belly button, I was so upset.  I was pretty sure that the next person who ever saw me undressed was going to recoil in horror.  Guess what?  That didn’t happen.  The young man mostly seemed happy that I was naked. 

I am about damned tired of the constant suggestions from advertisers that I need to buy something to make me acceptable.  Am I expected to look 14 years old forever?  If your body is useful, if it is fairly healthy, if it brings pleasure to you or someone else, your body is beautiful.  Please take whatever it is that gives you shame about your body and throw it over there on that pile of things which you do not think about.

No comments: